HISTORY OF DECOYS.
| On an Estate Map drawn in the year 1763 it is shown as "The Moor or Decoy," and the adjoining meadow is called "The Moor Meadow."|
On an Estate Map drawn in 1820 it is called "The Decoy."
No pipes are shown on either map.
It would appear, from an inspection of the pond itself, that there are the traces of three pipes, one at the lower, and two at the upper end of the pond.
The brook that divides Tythrop from Haddenham is an ancient mill-stream, and is some feet above the level of the pond, which is supplied by it with water through a floodgate, and the water passes away from the pond by an artificial watercourse.
Oxfordshire is not rich in county histories, and the histories at the Bodleian offer no information as to this Decoy.
Lipscombe, in his "History of Bucks," does not mention it, though he deals with Kingsey. The following coincidence, however, may be noted, viz., that James Herbert was seized of Tythrop and of the Manor of Kingsey in right of his wife, sole daughter and heiress of Sir Robert Spiller and Elizabeth his wife, who was the widow of Sir John Dynham, Knt., of Boarstall, and, if not the Lady Dynham who was living at Boarstall in 1650 was alive at the same time.
It is at least possible she might, remembering the Decoy at Boarstall, have induced her husband to construct one at Tythrop.
DECOYS IN THE COUNTY OF PEMBROKE.
Decoys in use.
Decoys not in use.
|Orielton, 2½ miles SW. of Pembroke.-This Decoy (a very good one) is the property of Lieutenant- Colonel Saurin of Orielton, in the county of Pembroke, South Wales, who kindly supplies the following most interesting details :-It is situated on a lake of 15 acres, within the park, the carriage drive running within 200 yards of two of the tunnel nets.|