THE BOOK OF DUCK DECOYS.
| This is done without in the least alarming the other fowl on the water, and the captives are left until after flight time, when the keeper returns, puts off in a small punt, enters the cage, and wrings their necks. The greatest number of fowl ever taken at one time was 17, the average number taken annually being about 60 but the Decoy is only used to supply the house, and no regular account is kept. (See Hardwick, page 71)|
Woolaton Hall, 3 miles W. of Nottingham, and the residence of Lord Middleton.
In the grounds at Woolaton is a lake of 23 acres, with a small island at its northern extremity. On the island was formerly placed a small cage, for entrapping ducks, similar to those at Hardwick, Park Hall, Haughton, and Ossington. Its age is unknown, it is out of repair, and has long since ceased to be used.
Near the lake, on its west side, and about the year 1825, a wellplanned three-pipe Decoy was constructed, which consisted of an acre of water.
It was last worked in 1845, but being so near Nottingham, and in such a populated district, the takes were small, and not exceeding for many seasons 100 fowl, it was finally dismantled.
DECOYS IN THE COUNTY OF OXFORD.
Decoys in use.
Decoys not in use.
| Tythrop Decoy.-Tythrop, though in Oxfordshire, is a liberty of the parish of Kingsey, Bucks, and is 2 miles NE. of Thame. Tythrop House, which is situated ¾ of a mile from the Decoy, was the seat of James Herbert, sixth son of the Earl of Pembroke, who was Chamberlain to Charles I., and from him it has passed by devise and descent to the present owner, P. J. D. Wykeham, Esq.|
This Decoy is probably a very ancient one, but it cannot be ascertained up to what period it was worked. There is no one in Kingsey or in the adjoining parish of Haddenham who has ever heard of its being used.